Getting metallic taste in mouth, frequent headache and bloating. How to get cure?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Metallic taste in mouth with pain in right side and sometimes left side of upper front ribcages. Comes and goes - lasts a few minutes to around 10 minutes? What can this be?Also my stomach becomes very bloated and large all day and night until i have a bowel movement in the morning
frequent headaches also - do not know if it is related
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later

Having a metallic taste in the mouth is a frequently reported symptom. I would love to know for how long long you have been having this taste, and whether it started before, at the same time or after the pain in the rib cages or abdominal bloating.

These symptoms are consistent with some presentations of gastric juice regurgitation (gastro esophageal reflux disease) and may be gastritis or peptic ulcer disease should be ruled out by your family physician or gastroenterologist.

Abdominal bloating is observed in some functional disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, and might require simple treatments at times involving a change in dietary and feeding patterns, raising the head side of your bed before sleeping, avoiding foods that irritate the stomach like pepper, alcohol or certain drugs, exercise and at times drugs. It is advisable for you to XXXXXXX your gastroenterologist.

A chest X XXXXXXX is a relatively simple exam that could be done to ascertain the integrity of your thoracic cavity organs. Headaches are either primary or secondary. Depending on the pattern of what is described, your physician will likely know from what kind of headache you might be suffering from.

It is really very less likely that the headache has to do with the symptoms you are describing.

Consult your family physician and gastroenterologist, for an appropriate clinical exam to rule out gastro esophageal reflux disease or food brash, gastritis, chest x XXXXXXX and may be a fibroscopy if need be.

Clinical investigation shall rule out any associated of the headache to these symptoms, but its really less likely and the stress factor or lack of adequate rest might explain the headache.

Thanks and great day,
Nsah, MD.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E