Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Getting long menstrual cycles. Not active sexually. Should I be worried with the possible diagnosis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12684 Questions
I am 38 and I have experienced long menstrual cycles November to February, end of April to mid XXXXXXX and starting lightly again. I have to wear 2 overnight sanitary napkins and each cycle is accompanied by large clots. I know that this not normal but should I be worried with the possible diagnosis? African American 248 lbs (I struggle with my weight constanly up and down) no children, not sexually active. I've been irregular as long as I can remember but it has never been this bad.
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 50 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
You are having heavy and prolonged vaginal bleeding,a menstrual disorder called Menorrhagia.
There are many cause for having such heavy bleeding commonest being:-
-Female hormone imbalance,
-Uterine fibroids,
-Disorders of the uterine lining,
-Uterine,ovarian or cervical cancer,
-Endometrial hyperplasia,
-Dysfunctional uterine bleeding, to name a few.
For diagnosis, you need to have an ultrasound scan of your lower abdomen and some blood tests.
Laboratory assessment of hemoglobin, luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), prolactin, T4, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), pregnancy (by βhCG), and androgen profile can be done.
The management of this condition would require treatment with progesterone to stabilize the endometrium and reduce bleeding along with hemostatic agents like ethamsylate or tranexaemic acid . Oral contraceptive pills (OCPs) suppress endometrial development, reestablish predictable bleeding patterns, decrease menstrual flow, and lower the risk of iron deficiency anemia.

You might consult your OB-GYN who can do the needed tests and initiate the proper therapy.
Meanwhile start taking iron supplements to combat excessive blood loss from your body.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Getting long menstrual cycles. Not active sexually. Should I be worried with the possible diagnosis? 14 hours later
Once I share this problem with my doctor do I need to ask specifically for tests to be done or will she make these recommendations? Are there specific questions that I need to ask in order to make sure that I receive the proper treatment?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
After consulting your gynecologist, she will recommend the necessary tests for you after a clinical examination. You do not have to ask for these individually.
The treatment will depend on the diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Getting long menstrual cycles. Not active sexually. Should I be worried with the possible diagnosis? 8 hours later
Thank you very much for your assistance. Now I will not be going into the doctor blind.

Take care.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
You are most welcome.
Please do recommend our website to your friends too.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor