Getting irregular period, abdominal pain, heartburn and light headed. HPT negative. What's going on?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: for the past four months I have had irregular periods which are much shorter and more like the end of my period rather than a normal period. I have been suffering from extreme tiredness, heartburn, dizzyness and lightheadness, ad hoc forgetting things, adominal pain in my lower right and at the bottom of my back, some ad-hoc pain in my breasts plus constant hunger, constant need to urinate and wind. I also feel movement in my stomach and pressure which is quite active during the day. My last smear showed borderline changes and I have not been sexually active for nearly 5months. I have taken numerous pregnancy tests which have came back negative.
my stomach is also bloated and have put on weight
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 2 hours later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
You seem to have multiple issues including gynecological and
may be the urinary tract as well. But I am just confining to the
issues involving bloating and abdominal pain,and heartburn.
You probably have Irritable Bowel Syndrome , either constipation
predominant or diarrhea predominant. From the description of
bloating and abdominal pain, I suspect the former. (IBS-C).
When you have this problem sometimes other symtoms like
GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) can be present.
This is not an imaginary problem. It is real and has to do with
Brain-Gut interaction mediated by hormone , Serotonin. It can
slow down the contractions in the colon and cause constipation.
The same thing happens to the gas that is produced during
digestion and it stays inside lot longer giving you the bloating.
What you need to do , is make sure you have adequate fiber
intake. You can take fiber supplements daily with enough fluids.
You need to excercise regularly, even brisk walking, three times
a week would be helpful. If the stool is very hard, you can take
one or two stool softeners.
For the other issues , please contact the appropriate specialists.
And, if the heartburn problem is bad, you can take a PPI such as
Omeprazole or Lansoprazole once or twice daily about an hour
to hour and a half before your main meals of the day.
I wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Charles S Narasi 7 minutes later
thank you for your response, however I am not experiencing any issues with constipation or diarrhea though. Could it still be IBS?
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
It could be early signs of it, yes it is possible.
The other thing I would look for is gallbladder problems.
Recommend a sonogram of thhe gallabladder to rule out
gallstones. Sometimes, vague abdominal symptoms such
as bloating could be from that problem.
Wish you well.