Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

178 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Getting infection in the teeth. Taking flagyl. Is tooth abscess serious problem?

Answered by
Dr. Neha Sumra


Practicing since :2011

Answered : 708 Questions

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Dental Health
Question: I am getting infection often in the teeth where I had root canal(laser)treatment twice.The dentist prescribed Flagyl(400 mg) for 3days(3 times).Then also it comes back again.Is the dosage correct?do I need to take it for more days.Doctors in India don't care about pain or infection,they just give medicines for namesake reasons& they let us suffer.Can u help me?Is tooth abscess serious problem?
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

As you said you have got an infection in root canal treated tooth, if you will provide me some information, I will be in a better position to guide you.

1. Do you have any symptom among these-pain, swelling, pus or bleeding?
If it's there then its a case of RCT failure & requires re-treatment by an endodontist.

2. Did you go for capping after root canal treatment of that tooth?
If it occurs after capping then it might be due to some high point & needs balancing.

3. Do you have recent x-ray of the same tooth? If yes, please upload the x-ray by clicking on the upload your reports in the right side.
I will suggest you to visit your dentist again and get the clinical examination done. An x-ray of related teeth region is in order.

Regarding medicine you may switch on penicillin group of antibiotic after consulting your dentist.

Hope this helps. If you have further any query feel free to ask, I will be happy to help you.

Take Care
Dr. Neha Sumra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Tooth abscess

doctor1 MD

can a tooth abscess cause a bladder infection? tooth abscess has been going on for about 4 or 5 yrs now...on and off antibiotics, cannot afford to have bone graft or tooth pulled...bladder infections have been chronic and i notice them more when my teeth are acting up. also i drink cranberry juice regularly, aside from dental problems, i am a healthy 28 yr old woman.

doctor1 MD

i have been under medical treatment from last one and a half year for neck lymphadinitis. During my medication have undergone two operations to remove cold abscess . Now the first operation that happened still has some infection and causes lot of irritation and generates abscess out of it at regular intervals hence please guide be how well I can overcome with the disease and fight against the infection in my lymph nodes Thanks & Regards Kanika

doctor1 MD

I have been taking penicillin for 2 weeks for tooth abscess and sinus infection. Just noticed that stool today yesterday has bright red blood. I read that it could be the penicillin. Should I stop taking (only a few doses left). WIll blood stop when I stop taking penicillin. No family history of anything like ulcers, or colon cancer. (age 49 female)

doctor1 MD

I've got a scary knawing pain in my left armpit- the pain makes me cry. It started when my child projected vomit on a bus everywhere. Also I can't seem to digest food. And cannot sleep. I take citalopram and quetiapine for anxiety,but this pain is real. Parallel to a tooth abscess

doctor1 MD

I'm taking clindamycin for a tooth abscess and I taste a metallic taste . should I stop taking it and is there any danger? thank you

doctor1 MD

I have been having really bad pain in my claves, especially the right one, it doesn't stop at all and makes it extremely hard to walk.I recently had an abscessed tooth and have been on amoxicillin for 4 days, I didn't know if there was a...

doctor1 MD

34 female Lower jaw tooth abcess Lumpth node, rubbery, firm and painful When i drink more swells more following hours into next morning with sharper pain. Scared its lympthoma?