Getting infection in the teeth. Taking flagyl. Is tooth abscess serious problem?

Dr. Neha Sumra

Dentist

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Dental Health
Question: I am getting infection often in the teeth where I had root canal(laser)treatment twice.The dentist prescribed Flagyl(400 mg) for 3days(3 times).Then also it comes back again.Is the dosage correct?do I need to take it for more days.Doctors in India don't care about pain or infection,they just give medicines for namesake reasons& they let us suffer.Can u help me?Is tooth abscess serious problem?
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing in.

As you said you have got an infection in root canal treated tooth, if you will provide me some information, I will be in a better position to guide you.

1. Do you have any symptom among these-pain, swelling, pus or bleeding?
If it's there then its a case of RCT failure & requires re-treatment by an endodontist.

2. Did you go for capping after root canal treatment of that tooth?
If it occurs after capping then it might be due to some high point & needs balancing.

3. Do you have recent x-ray of the same tooth? If yes, please upload the x-ray by clicking on the upload your reports in the right side.
I will suggest you to visit your dentist again and get the clinical examination done. An x-ray of related teeth region is in order.

Regarding medicine you may switch on penicillin group of antibiotic after consulting your dentist.

Hope this helps. If you have further any query feel free to ask, I will be happy to help you.

Take Care
Dr. Neha Sumra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E