Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

162 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Getting hot flash sensation, muscle spam and grinding noise when moving neck. What's wrong?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1417 Questions
Im a 49 year old male. Have had a sore neck muscle related and can tell when rotating my neck it's crunches grinds - seems when I move my neck in certain ways I will get hot flashes sensations down my body followed by shaking like when your cold or have flu and have been off balance a vertigo type feeling. For the last week I've felt dizzy or maybe unstable is a better word.,This would last for a few days usually this current episode has been over a week. Previously this seem to spike my BP to 150 / 100 so had heart checked X-ray ECG stress test all normal. This has occurred 4-5 times over 3.5 months prior to this totally healthy. This current time I've had what seem like heart burn or indigestion a burning (not bad) but comes and goes just at the base or below my chest bone. I've had full on heart burn with acid reflux a couple times in my life so i know that feeling not as severe as that. Think it's time for a Nerogolist and MRI? It's scary how this comes and goes - fibermalagy - hypoglycaemic - hormone - cant find anything that fits. Thanks
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 17 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

In view of the described symptoms, possibility of cervical spondylosis seems more likely in your case. The momentary symptoms can be due to nerve getting pinched. Symptoms like neck muscle spasm and grinding noise when neck is turned are quiet suggested of cervical spondylosis. Even vertigo/imbalance can be explained by the pinched nerves. I don't think it’s related to hormone or anything metabolic cause.

Surely getting MRI done and seeing neurologist or spine specialist are ideal next steps.

For heart burn / chest symptoms, you can try antacids, diet and lifestyle changes - just to see if they help or not. And if these medications fail to help for a considerable duration, then it would be wise to see gastroenetrologist. In cases of chronic heart burns one always needs to rule out possibility of ulcers.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to ask if there are doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now