Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Getting hives on body and itching all over body. How to get relief from this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 254 Questions
Good evening doc.

1.I am getting hives(rashes) on body which disappears after sometime. It starts on hands and then proceeds to forehead, back, and whole body. This I am getting from last fifteen days.

2.My complete body feels like itching pl suggest what to do.
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 48 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. Hives or we call it as urticaria has many reasons. It is highly impossible to predict the cause. However the common causes are infections, ingestion of beverages, inhalation of pollen dust, ingestion of drugs etc.

Most urticarias disappear in four weeks with treatment.
The treatment includes antihistamines like cetrizine 5 mg at night for four weeks.
in case if you feel very drowsy next morning try taking 1/2 tab only
after a couple of days you can take 400mg tab of albendazole as a single dose as treatment for worm infestation. Though safe since it is a prescription based medication please take from the local doctor.

You may additionally apply calamin lotion as a soothening agent only if you have hives and not otherwise.
If you find any food contemplating your hives you may stop and observe. otherwise avoidance of particular food stuff may not really help you.
If hives do not disappear even after four to six weeks you need to be investigated throughly to find out any possible cause. this battery of test include hemogram, sugar tests, thyroid profile, CRP and IgE levels
I hope you may not need to go into that stage and you will recover
Prasad PVS
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor