Owl Image

Getting headache with extreme pressure. Could it be anxiety, sleep apnea or tumor?

Owl Image
Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Question
headacheshave been getting headaches off and on for two years.. have been to my pcp and was told they were anxiety and bp. they are in the back of my head they feel hot and feel like extreme pressure...they generaly focus in back right. have been to er for the headaches as well and was told anxiety. have seen a chiropractor which did an xray and said my c1 and c2 need to be aligned and that is most likey my headache. asked my dr should i have a ct or mri he said no thqt it is anxiety and sleep apnea. i am worried it is a. anureysum or tumor. after 3 visits to dr and chiro they all say i dnt show any tumor or anureysum symptoms should i be worried. or concerned that i have an anureysum? no nausea...vomiting...pupils good...reflexs good...no dizziness....no slurring speech...no dropping eyelid....should i be worried? i am horribly nervous...could this just be my anxiety?
Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 3 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for sending your query to us.
A tumour or other space occupying lesions have other sign and symptoms also.
Since you have been examined by the doctors and they did not come across such pointing evidence to investigate on those lines.
Since you have these headaches for 2 years now ,tumour etc. would not remain static for so long and would progress to shoe signs and symptoms like nausea,vomiting etc.
which has not happened in your case.
Alternative medicine people have their own way of dealing with these problems which
is different from our approach.
You should take care of yourself ,what is called as life style management,have proper rest,balanced diet and exercise including yoga will help you.
please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.

Follow-up: Getting headache with extreme pressure. Could it be anxiety, sleep apnea or tumor? 1 hour later
so with all that being said after seeing three drs and none feeling the need to do a ct or mri would it be safe to rule out anureysum or tumor. the headaches feel like heat and preasure and come and go and my dr told me that a tumor and especially an anureysum wouldnt come and go. and that an anurwysum would cause facial drooping and slurred speech and dilated pupils....so afyer being told its anxiety and mis alignment should i be at ease its not a anureysum?

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 45 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX
thanks for getting back to us.
what i have to add is that it would not have remained static for last2 years,things would have progressed.
This type of tension headaches as i have already told you,are best managed by lifestyle change.
Rest assured,still,you have to strive to get rid of this headache.
Take care of your self.
Do get back to me for further queries.

Follow-up: Getting headache with extreme pressure. Could it be anxiety, sleep apnea or tumor? 8 minutes later
ok thank u....have been worried sick that it was an anureysum. the dr has perscribed me a anxiety medicine that along with life style changes and i should be good. thank u for assuring me .

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 13 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX
beware of anti anxiety pills as they may be habit forming.if i were you then i would have gone in for yoga and meditation.They are better in the long run.They may be new to you and at times difficult to get a hang of.
All the best.