Owl Image

Getting headache, have leaky valves and low BP. Worrisome

Owl Image
Dr. Anil Grover

Cardiologist

Question
My Mom who is 81 has been monitoring her blood pressure (3 times a week) for the past month. Each time she has been getting a bottom reading in the 40's. And she also noted that she has been having headaches. The reason she has been monitoring her bp is because her most recent appointment with the cardiologist her blood pressure in a whole was high. We thought it was just "white coat" syndrome. Her mother died at the age of 80 due to heart issues. My Mom also has 4 leaky valves. I appreciate whatever advice you can offer me. Regards, a concerned daughter.
Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 7 hours later
Hi there.

With leaky valves I assume your mother has Aortic Regurgitation also. In this condition depending upon severity, the lower blood pressure that is diastolic blood pressure can be even lower than 40 something closer to zero. As during relaxation phase (Diatolic) aortic valve is open because it is leaky so what is being measured is ventricular diastolic pressure which is normally close to ten. So, please do not be surprised if that is the case. Aortic Regurgitation also leads to rise in rise in systolic pressure to rise so you need not bring in white coat hypertension. Leave it your doctor to diagnose hypetension. If you have faith in him you will feel better and follow the doctor's advice. If you feel that you can not trust your doctor then change the doctor find someone whom you can trust. Good Luck.

If you have any more query I will be most happy to answer it.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Internist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW