Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Getting headache during a bowel movement. Should I consult a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 706 Questions
I had the most horrible head pain during a bowel movement. It radiated from the back of my neck up into the back and bottom of my head. It's the worst pain I've ever felt in my head. I wasn't constipated. It was just the opposite. it was a very loose stool. What caused this and should I seek medical attention? At first I thought it might be a stroke. I went through the steps of smiling, raising my arms over my head and looking at my face to make sure there was no drooping. Everything seemed to be fine in that area.
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 hours later

Thanks for the query,

In view of your age and the worst headache that you had, I suggest you to undergo a neurological assessment by a local physician. The physical examination will help us guide you better. In view of the age, I feel that you should have MRI scan pf the brain and spine to rule out any problem in these ares causing severe headache an if there are chances of relapse.

Hope this helps

Let me know if you have any other concern
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor