Getting headache, backache, feeling pressure and pain on right side. Could this be due to cyst?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: A little over two years ago I went to urgent care with right-side abdominal pain. Negative UTI, negative pregnancy. Followed up with ob-gyn. Speculated cysts, did note polyp on cervix while examining Paragard IUD. Suggested possible ultrasound to note placement and vetify cyst. Long story short, due to lack of insurance i have not followed up. About every-other month i have about 1-2 weeks of pms symptoms mostly backache, fatigue, some cramps, and now i believe hormone related headaches causing sinus like pressure and nauseousness. During these same every-Other month terrible cycles, my actual period is worse and also accompanied with a lot of ride soded pressure and pain. Never the left side, but it happens during my petiod and during ovulation as well. Could this be multuple cysts on my right side, or one cyst that never goes away, or is my left side not ovulating? Suggestiins?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 56 minutes later
The pressure and pain that you can feel on the right side due to periods can be due to a congestion, cyst or a pelvic inflammation which is commonly associated with IUD. It is not likely to be related to ovulation.
Both of your ovaries are most likely working normally. Possibility of a simple cyst cannot be ruled out without a pelvic ultrasound. In case you have a pain during the intercourse too, then pelvic inflammation is more likely.
Endometriosis also needs to be ruled out after proper investigations.
In the mean time, home measures such as hot compresses over the lower abdomen and massages can help. Over the counter analgesics such as ibuprofen can be useful on some occasions.
Be assured it is not a serious problem and will be redressed by assurance and proper treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.