Getting headache after taking of L-Arginine. Normal?

Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been taking L-Arginine for about nine days now 500 mg and aside from the physical benefits I've experienced from using it. I get sharp headaches now and then will they eventually go away as my body adjust or should I quit using L-Arginine . Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

It will be helpful if you please mention the indication for which you have started taking L-Arginine.

L-Arginine is an amino acid, which is not needed as supplement because it is normally synthesised in the body.

Low blood pressure is sometimes seen as side effect of L-Arginine. Low blood pressure can result in headache. So, it is advisable that you get your blood pressure and other vitals monitored.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.
Regards. Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli