Getting headache after head injury. No bump or bruise appeared. Should I consult a doctor?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Head Injuries
Question: My child fell in the school gynmasium today and hit his head pretty hard. He complains he has a headache and is falling asleep. I do not see a big bump or bruising but am worried he has a concussion. Should I bring him into the energency or give him medicine, he is 5 years old??? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Hello
Thanks for your query.Your 5 years old child sustained head injury in school Some more details will help me to come to conclusion and advise.
1) Does he have Vomiting ?
2) Is there any change in his level of consciousness.?
3) Is he irritable after head injury.?
4) Does he have fever ?
The consistency of a brain in children is semi-solid just like a jelly so normally there is is no damage to the brain even after head injury,
Please do not worry .You have to just observe the child for any symptoms which I have mentioned above.and go to the hospital or emergency room if he develops any untoward symptoms.In the meanwhile give him simple pain killer like Paracetamol .
Hope I have answered your query.Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Hello, he was naseaus and he said he felt like throwing up, he was very pale and all he wanted to do was go to sleep. We will monitor him overnight and wake him every couple of hours just in case. He wasn't irritable just very tired. Thanks for replying to my query, it has been very helpful. Regards.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 30 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for follow up.

Whatever symptoms you have narrated are bound to be there after trivial trauma.

Do observe him and do not send him to school until he becomes completely normal. In case, if needed, do not hesitate to ask me.

Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E