Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Getting frequent pains under ribs, unable to move and vomiting. X-ray normal. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5762 Questions
Hi, I am getting frequent pains under my lower ribs on the right side (occasionally on the left but nowhere near as severe) which increases in intensity to the point where I am unable to move for the pain and I vomit. The pain then goes away after an hour and a half. I have had an x-ray done but it didn't show anything so I was told nothing is wrong but this is happening more often. What else could it be?
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Lower right pain under ribs, nausea, vomiting are very characteristic for gallstones. The pain usually appears after a fatty foods, fried foods or alcohol. It can radiate to the back.

I suggest you to have blood work, liver tests (AST,ALT,GGTP) and abdominal ultrasound done. In case of gallstones, laparoscopic surgery is necessary.

In a meanwhile please avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods and alcohol.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor