Getting frequent erections and forced urination at night. Any advice?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Men's Health
Question: Hello,
I have a problem which is frequent erections and therefore forced urinations at night, sometimes up to 4 times or every 2 hours. I'm very uncomfortable with this problem because I don't get adequate night rest before I go to work. I have visited several urologists but they only gave me pills which didn't help me much. This problem started about 3 years ago. It starts on every February and last for several months. I've been told that it can be the cold temperature, but I dress warm pyjamas and cover myself with 2 thick blankets. And even in the summer months, this problem persists. Can you please advise me?
Thank you kindly.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Hello
You are getting frequent erection and increase frequency of micturition in winter .It is not uncommon to get increased frequency of micturition in cold weather as the urine is produced in a large quantity in winter. The erection that you get is because of the accumulation of urine in bladder.
You have already consulted qualified Urologist and have been advised medications.
It is likely that you may have chronic infection of the Prostate (Prostatitis) .
Get your urine culture done to fine out any infective pathology.
Are you diabetic? Get your Blood Sugar Levels done to confirm the same.

You can try taking medication like Tomsulosin if have not been prescribed so far after discussing with your Urologist.
Make a habit of emptying the bladder before going to sleep. And avoid drinking water at night.
Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E