Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Getting fluctuating blood pressure range. Feeling heartbeat, chest pain and dizzy. How to get relief?

Aug 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 362 Questions
my blood pressure readings fluctuate from 160/118 to 150/130 throughout the day? My heartbeat can be felt in my chest, I get dizzy sometime, lately feeling chest pain and cant get a full breath. I got really sick with sepsis 7 years ago and have not been right since. I had a sinus infection 3 years ago that took 8 months and 4 rounds of antibiotics to clear. I had a sore on my foot for 9 months that would not heal. I am 44 years of age and 5'7" 150 lbs. I lose weight very easily and take forever to gain it back. I have been getting more and more tired over the last 2 years. Seen a doctor 3 times in the last 4 years for unrelated problems and each time they tell me I am about to drop dead and won't release me until they administer BP meds
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 2 hours later

Persistant blood pressure in higher range, as in your case, certainly needs medications and please do not rely on only lifestyle measures when the readings are so so high. Along with lifestyle measures, please make sure you start the prescribed anti-hypertensive medications right away. Do not give much importance to the mild fluctuations in the readings of blood pressure which you take with some home BP apparatus. What is more important is treating the persistant high BP which is not worth waiting anymore.
Family history of premature cardiovascular disease, your high blood pressure, symptoms of chest pain and breathlessness do warrant investigations like Fasting Lipid profile, ECG (EKG), TMT (Treadmill test- if no contraindications to do stress ECG- I want to know where are the sores on foot precisely?). After the tests, you please see a good physician or cardiologist. He/she might prescribe certain curative or preventive medications and/ or other treatment modalities appropriate to your condition and age if anything wrong is found in your heart function. Also he/ she will have a look at the foot sores if they are due to some neurological problem or vascular problem and whom to refer further.
Then tiredness, weight loss, non-healing foot sores, frequent infections also warrant one to undergo blood sugar test, Hemoglobin, total white blood cell count, differential count, Liver function tests, HIV screening.
So if you look at it, you need a thorough body check up to rule out many conditions which are preventable or treatable or at least controllable!
Let me know details about your foot sores [-location on feet, size, depth, ulcerated/ covered with crust, secreting any fluids, condition of the skin immediately around them, any associated pain or itching around them, any prominent veins in your lower limbs etc.] and about the test reports.

All the very best. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Getting fluctuating blood pressure range. Feeling heartbeat, chest pain and dizzy. How to get relief? 8 hours later
Thanks for getting back with me. The sore on my foot was there for nine months and then finally healed with no recurrence, it was in the top of my foot, about 1 1/2 inch and just refused to scab over and leaked fluid. I do not have HIV (been tested) I am going to an internist on Monday but I am a little freaked out at the moment.
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 1 hour later

Please keep it in mind that by feeling scared you will not get solutions. So take it positively that by getting yourself investigated will certainly help you. Not having HIV is very good. Then get all other things tested for. These days everything has solution to lead almost normal life- whether it is a heart disease, diabetes or hypertension...but you have to help yourself by not letting yourself down, taking steps towards knowing what is wrong with your body and then following medical advice...

Please understand people live with so many dreadful body conditions and still come up as winners in some way or the other...having heart disease, diabetes or hypertension is so common these days, even in younger people than you, that you do not have to be scared of these things at all...

Who knows, it might be just a skin infection and temporary anxiety making you feel this get up and get tested yourself. Help yourself. That’s it.

Till you XXXXXXX your internist, spend your time in making list of the physical discomforts you have been suffering so far, enlist previous episodes of medical problems, e.g. your sepsis episode, remember if you are allergic to anything and jot it down and also reports of any recent tests done. That will make him/her grasp the whole matter in a shorter time.

Last but most important, by worrying you will unnecessarily increase your BP further and that will mislead the doctor while taking decision on antihypertensive medications. So relax as much as possible and enjoy your Sunday by doing very light activities. Do let me know what the doctor would have to say. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor