Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Getting flesh coloured bumps that pop on throat after having spicy food. No pain. What are these?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
Have been getting flesh colored bumps that pop in the back of my throat that last for a day and then pop and then a few days later it comes back on the other side of my oropharynx. After they pop the area is red. Notice they occur most often after eating spicy, hot , or cinnamon candies. They don't hurt but I can feel the presence. If I scratch them (trying) to figure out what it is, it pops nut not bloody drainage, it's clear. The only other symptom I get is mouth becomes dry from time to time that is easily resolved with a sip of water. I don't have excessive thirst just a dry mouth for a minute, sip of water, then gone. I do have a history of allergies, sinks issues from time to time, no wt loss, no voice changes, masses, or pain. Non smoking (never have) and alcohol is minimal, only on weekends. My dentist screens patientss once for HPV and I was negative.
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

The symptoms you describe do not really point towards oropharyngeal cancer. Oropharyngeal cancer has as risk factors a history of smoking, alcohol, family history of cancer and lesions that easily bleed in the mouth. Difficulties or pain in swallowing and weight loss are common symptoms actually observed.

A clinical examination however is necessary in your case. considering the fact that these lesions are not painful, nor eruptions noticed, it would be unlikely that it should be herpes virus infection.
What you describe could also be a viral infection or oral candiasis. Hairy cell leukoplakia would actually not be very likely. It would also be important to note if there are any nearby lymph nodes, which you do not actually signal any.

For now, I suggest you can XXXXXXX a family physician as you wait to XXXXXXX an ENT specialist for a proper clinical evaluation.

Thanks and hope this helps,

Do not hesitate asking any further questions if need be, Will be more than honored responding to your questions.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Getting flesh coloured bumps that pop on throat after having spicy food. No pain. What are these? 45 minutes later
Thanks. No bleeding at all. I do have shoddy nodes but they're equal bilaterally and have been shoddy for years and that's just submandibular. No other nodes. I've had it on and off for awhile but it was always after eating hot cinnamon candies or hot salsa. I always thought it was irritation but after seeing someone just diagnosed with terminal parotid gland cancer. I'm nervous because I will be gone for 3 weeks.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the response,
I do not feel its something really that serious. It should not be a cause for panic for now.
Remain in good shape, being watchful however as you await to see your ENT specialist.
Wishing you the best of health.
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor