Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Getting fishy odour from penis. How to get rid of this?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9573 Questions
Hello Sir, I am 30 years old man. I get very bad smell around my penis even when washed. I am getting very bad fishy odour from my penis, I think from my foreskin. It stinks lot. why is the smell there and how do I get rid of it? Which doctor I need to consult and treatment that would help make the smell go away, it's bad odour and it smells really bad. Even after washing properly odour keeps on coming all time. Please help me to get rid off this odour. If needed I can visit personally to your clinic as I reside in Delhi. I want immediate treatment so please assist.
Pease provide your contact number so that I could consult you personally or else Please suggest which hospital & doctor in Delhi or Noida I need to consult so that the problem of bad smell be treated as soon as possible.
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

Based on the facts that you have posted you have stinging smell of your penis and foreskin.
This is most likely to be due to excessive secretion of smegma by the foreskin.

Smegma is a jelly like secretion containing desquamated epithelial cells of under surface of foreskin mixed with oily secretion of glands located in foreskin. It acts as a natural lubricant for sliding of the glans over foreskin during sexual activity in adolescence.

In some individuals this secretion is excessive and when gets infected gives a stinging smell.
You might need a course of some antibiotics like Doxycycline. Please visit your family physician to get prescription of this drug.
Ensure to observe good personal hygiene by cleaning it twice daily with plain warm water .Hope your problem will be settled in 2 weeks .

Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
With Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Getting fishy odour from penis. How to get rid of this? 21 hours later
Please provide prescription of this drug, how long and how many tablet do I need to take daily. Will this medicine is sufficient for treatment or whether I need to consult urologist personally so that I would get the exact cause of bad penis smell and get treated. I reside in Delhi so if you know any specialist doctor in delhi, please let me know. By the way I am very thankful for your advice.
one problem I missed in my previous query was that the smell gets more worsen and very strong bad smell after urinating so please advise the best possible way of treatment and by whom.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up.

It would be unethical and inappropriate to prescribe you scheduled drugs without doing a proper examination. Therefore, I am sorry that I cannot provide you the prescription of these drugs.

You have to see your family Doctor and get the prescription. Taking this medicine will definitely solve your problem. You may consult any qualified Urologist in Delhi.

There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW
I have no personal referral contacts with any Urologist in Delhi.

Thanks with Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Getting fishy odour from penis. How to get rid of this? 20 hours later
Hello Sir,

I have bought Doxycycline XXXXXXX & Lactic Acid Bascillus Capsules manufactured by LABORATE PHARMACEUTICALS INDIA LTD - is this the same medicine you have referred to use. I am using 3 capsules a day for two weeks. Is this ok?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Thanks for follow up.
You can continue taking the tablets that you have purchased
Hope to resolve your problem soon.
Thanks with Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor