Getting feeling of vibration in lower abdomen. Easy way to get cure?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Thu, 16 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I feel rapid vibration in my lower abdomen, just like XXXXXXX hammer. Could not pinpoint exacl location and it has been reoccuring for over a year when I am lying in bed. Often I coud hear witth when I i am sleeping on my side with my head against the pillow.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Hello sir and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Considering your age, and the presentation you have described in your query, I would like for you to visit your doctor, for the following reasons as they could be the cause for a vibration/tingling like sensation in the lower abdomen:

-Vitamin B12 deficiency: A deficiency in this particular vitamin can cause weakness of the nerves, and can result in such a presentation. Your vitamin B12 levels will have to be checked

-Degenerative bone/disc disease: As the nerves that are present in this region are supplied by the dorsal part of the spine or thoracic part of the spine, any disease of the region can cause a pinch or pressure on these nerves, resulting in such a presentation. This also matches your complaint of lower back pain.

-Bone spur: An abnormal growth of the bone can apply pressure on the surrounding nerves, and result in such a presentation. This also matches your complaint of lower back pain.

-Diabetes: Long-term or uncontrolled blood sugar levels can cause nerve damage, which can cause tingling or vibration like sensations in nerves. Please check your diabetic profile

-Potassium level: Can cause muscle spasms or twitching. You will have to get this checked as well

Also, have you lost weight recently sir? And how would you rate your salt intake: less than normal, normal or more than normal?

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, and I would happily help you.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 15 hours later
My blood tests are all normal, including B12, potassium, sodium, etc. my blood sugar, colistrol and blood pressure are all normal. I am 6'10"" and 75 kg, and I lost/ gained no weight over last few years. I had mri, x XXXXXXX and ct scan for my lower back and the doctor could not find anything that could explain this ' XXXXXXX hammer like ' sensation.
This vibration is NOT tingling, and, although I feel it quite strongly, I could not pinpoint its location within my body. There is no pain associated with it, ant I always feel it when I am lying in bed.. When I first experienced it over a year ago, I did not even realize it was within my body. I was feeling it as I was sleeping on my side and I thought I was hearing some motor or a XXXXXXX hammer in the bulding or street close by.
Could it relate to some parasite?- I had stool and urine tests and they are normal.
This problem is bothering me as it sometimes wakes me at night, and I would appreciate it if you can investigate the issue for me.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 7 hours later
Hello sir and welcome once again.

It appears as though you and your doctor have been thorough with your examination. I would also like to pin-point one particular fact; there exists a very large artery in the same region of the abdomen (i.e. the lower abdomen), which is the largest artery in the body and is called the abdominal aorta.

As you have mentioned that you feel the sensation only when you lie in bed, I thought of this. The abdominal aorta is a really large artery (largest in the body) and thus in a supine position, the pulsation is always seen, and in some individuals even felt. Could it be that you are experiencing the same?

How are your cholesterol levels sir? And has there been a Doppler ultrasound investigation of your abdomen? A Doppler ultrasound is a special type of ultrasound used to investigate blood vessels, their blood flow, and/or level of obstruction and their overall condition. If this investigation is conducted, we could check if your abdominal aorta is pumping at a higher or more rapid rate due to some percentage of blockage/obstruction in it (this obstruction would be normal, and age-related).

Also, have your serum calcium, vitamin D and uric acid levels been checked sir? As these could be responsible for bony changes (changes in the bone) and can cause the lower back pain and even apply pressure on the nerves in the region of the spine and cause an increased pulsation (that you are experiencing). An x-ray might not be able to pick this up in the early stages, as this is a very small change initially.

Thus, the following are the possibilities, listed with a few investigations:
-Doppler ultrasound of the abdomen (mainly abdominal aorta)
-Serum calcium, vitamin D and uric acid levels - to check for body changes causing nerve entrapment
-Lipid profile (causing a certain level of obstruction in the abdominal aorta, causing it to pulsate harder and more rapidly)
-Calculate your BMI (to check if you weigh more than you should; as subcutaneous fat accumulation is high around the abdomen and can also put pressure on the abdominal vessels)
-Spastic colon (in this there are spontaneous contractions of the muscles of the small and large colon -- located in the region of the lower abdomen -- any history of symptoms like diarrhea without fever, or chronic constipation, etc?)
-Thyroid dysfunction (can also cause such symptoms in muscles)
-Nerve entrapment (is still the most common cause)

I have tried my best to list all the possible causes for your symptoms; after excluding the ones suggested in my previous query.

No sir, a parasite cannot usually cause such a presentation, and you would be experiencing other symptoms like: loss of weight, blood in stool, diarrhea, parasites in stool, abdominal pain, etc. And if your stool test was normal, then we can safely rule this out.

For the time being, you could look into the above mentioned possibilities sir. Investigate them, so that we can narrow down our search, and accordingly rule out or hopefully diagnose your condition.

Do keep in touch with me sir. I shall keep providing you my services and clear any doubts you have on the way.

Best wishes.