Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Getting fainting episode and intense pain at night in lower leg. Which specialist should I consult?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
Very intense pain at night in the lower outer quadrant of my right leg....pain not relieved by walking or massage and pain has been so intense I have fainted on three occasions. What specialty should I see. My internist referred me to a vascular MD who checked circulation and it was fine. It is scary since I live alone and did quite a bit a damage to my face when I fainted one of the times....possible causes and treatments......have suffered with this for years never know when it will hit
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Such intense pain which appears at night is most likely caused by bones pain. It is quite characteristic for this pain to appear at night and be very intense.
As the blood supply to your leg is fine, you should visit orthopedist and neurologist. Neurological pain can be also a reason of such symptoms.
Bones X-ray should be done, calcium level, blood work with smear test, CRP, urine analysis.
There is a kind of bones pain which gets eased by Aspirin. So next time it will appear I suggest you to also try this medicine.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Getting fainting episode and intense pain at night in lower leg. Which specialist should I consult? 3 hours later
Thank you very much for your reply. Would it be helpful to take aspirin routinely prior to going to bed and if so what dosage.

Thank you again for your help.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 hours later
It would be better to take aspirin when the pain will appear (not before it). This will allow to find out if it is helpful or not. The dosage should be 500 mg.

Hope this will help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor