Getting excessive saliva, abdominal pain and nausea. Easy way to get cure?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in General Health
Question: Occasionally I experience a pang in my abdomen immediately followed by nausea. My mouth fills with excessive saliva which I continually swallow until the feeling goes away. It usually lasts for about a minute, and generally occurs at night, although it has occurred during the day or evening. I don't feel ill at all, and carry on normally right after. I have tried to find a pattern in my food intake, and at one time narrowed it down to eating salad stuff in the evening, but since then I have eaten it late, and suffered no symptoms at all. Just to let you know, I am 73, an avid reader and constantly challenging my brain right up until bedtime with a variety of activities. Should I allow quiet time to allow my brain to "cool down"? My daughter who is 46 just told me she has been suffering the same symptoms since last Friday, which is what prompted my query. I hope you can help. Thank You.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such nausea can be caused by several diseases like peptic ulcers (even if no pain),acid reflux disease, pyloric obstruction, bowels obstruction, heart ischeamia, labyrinthine diseases, brain diseases, medicines, thyroid diseases, adrenals disease, diabetes, liver failure. As you can see there is many possibilities as the mechanism of nausea is poorly known process. Moreover, nausea can be the only symptom of most of mentioned diseases. It may also happen that you wont find any reason of such symptom.
I suggest you to have some diagnostics. Abdominal ultrasound, blood work, liver tests, amylase, bilirubin, thyroid tests, sugar level, heart ECG and heart stress test should be performed.
Depending of the results, upper GI endoscopy(especially if you use lots of pain killers) and colonoscopy should be done as well. If no findings, you should visit neurologist for brain checkup.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.