Getting electrical shocks in jaw and hand. Concerned

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been getting what seems like electrical shocks in my jaw and left hand. They are very infrequent and very short in duration, anything to be concerned about?
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for writing in.

Electric shock feeling is very rare symptom. There are two diagnoses for the same. Jaw pain can be explained by trigeminal neuralgia. It causes facial pain, which is radiating in nature.

Shock in arm can be due to rare disease known as multiple sclerosis. If your symptoms are really like typical electric shock then you need to consult a board certified neurosurgeon.

In addition, MRI brain will be the investigation of choice in your case. If your physician advice the same then you must get it done.

Hope I have answered your query. Any further doubts are welcome.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E