Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

193 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Getting dizzy spells and vertigo. Cause and cure?

Answered by
Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2007

Answered : 353 Questions

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: Have spells of dizziness during the day - related to vertigo - esp in the morning
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 29 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.
Before going to causes related to ear, I would ask you if your hemoglobin level is normal or not. This is because anemia is commonest cause of dizziness and vertigo.

Now ENT causes are- BPPV i.e benign paroxysmal positional vertigo or Meniers disease or inner ear inflammation- vestibular neuronitis or labyrinthitis.

BPPV cause vertigo in bed itself while changing positions. It is for brief period.
For Meniers disease dizziness persist for few hours and associated with fluctuating hearing loss.
For inner ear inflammation, there are two types- vestibular neuronitis and labyrinthitis. In case of acute vestibular neuritis, symptoms include the sudden onset of intense, constant vertigo that may persist for several days, along with nausea, vomiting and trouble with balance. These symptoms may be so severe that you have to stay in bed. When associated with sudden hearing loss, this condition is called labyrinthitis.

You already have stugil for dizziness, but still I would recommend you to get examined by ENT specialist and find out the underlying cause for dizziness and vertigo.
I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt, please revert back.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 4 minutes later
Thanks, Doc
Haemoglobin count is 11, as per latest tests done in Nov12.
Pls suggest a good specialist around S Delhi as I live around that area
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 6 minutes later

So hemoglobin of 11 can not cause dizziness and vertigo. So you have to approach ENT specialist.

Sorry, I have no idea regarding specialist in delhi.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Hearing loss

doctor1 MD

Hi, Since past 7 months I am experiencing Tinnitus in my right ear with partial hearing loss. Though I have consulted many doctors & taken advised medication for the same (no cancer detected in Brain MRI, Audiometry Tests show almost 60% hearing loss, Complemina Retard continued for almost 3 months), yet the problem still persists. I do not feel any nausea / headache / dizzy / anything else. I wanted to know if this is curable at all and if so then what are kinds of treatments options available ? Thanks in advance. Regards, Nitin

doctor1 MD

I am 26 years age,male.I have hypothyroidism as well as hypertension. Recently I have developed Bilateral SNHL(Sensorineural hearing loss). I take Thyronorm 50 and Tenormin 50 daily. Are they medicine side effect? Recently I have started taking Telma 40. Is it safe?

doctor1 MD

In November I was diagnosed with Sudden Sensory Neural Hearing Loss in my L ear, which included dizziness and bizarre tinnitis symptoms. I had oral steroid treamtent with no success. I had a procedure to place steroids into the inner ear with significant improvement in hearing, though still impaired. this was followed by continued ear pressure, terrible tinnitis, off and on headaches and fatigue. i was treated with antibiotics for 20 days and things improved, but ear fullness and lesser tinnitis persisted, with intermittent headaches and fatigue now returning. Hearing loss is still annoying, I can't use a phone on my L side and can't hear speech in a room with more than one person in it. Will this ever improve? Is there anything further that can be done?

doctor1 MD

Hello ,I am 25 male
I have a bit of hearing loss of high frequency sound.. doctors advised me that i have weak nerves connecting ear & brain.... which is due to mine continuous sneezing cold earlier....
please suggest me any possible treatment for this & any good hospital anywhere in india for getting this treatment...

doctor1 MD

What does a mastoidectomy involve? What type of care is required before and after such a procedure?

doctor1 MD

Dr. Eni My daughter is home now and is still nauseous, and dizzy with stomach pain, but is doing better since receiving CBD anally. No reason was ever found for her symptoms. If you have a theory please share it wth me.

doctor1 MD

I've seen 2 doctors. I've also emailed back and fourth with Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX on this site. My symptoms are ringing in the left ear. Low grade headache and nausea. I've had these symptoms for more than 3 weeks now. Sometimes the headache goes...