Getting dizzy spells and vertigo. Cause and cure?

Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: Have spells of dizziness during the day - related to vertigo - esp in the morning
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 29 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing in.
Before going to causes related to ear, I would ask you if your hemoglobin level is normal or not. This is because anemia is commonest cause of dizziness and vertigo.

Now ENT causes are- BPPV i.e benign paroxysmal positional vertigo or Meniers disease or inner ear inflammation- vestibular neuronitis or labyrinthitis.

BPPV cause vertigo in bed itself while changing positions. It is for brief period.
For Meniers disease dizziness persist for few hours and associated with fluctuating hearing loss.
For inner ear inflammation, there are two types- vestibular neuronitis and labyrinthitis. In case of acute vestibular neuritis, symptoms include the sudden onset of intense, constant vertigo that may persist for several days, along with nausea, vomiting and trouble with balance. These symptoms may be so severe that you have to stay in bed. When associated with sudden hearing loss, this condition is called labyrinthitis.

You already have stugil for dizziness, but still I would recommend you to get examined by ENT specialist and find out the underlying cause for dizziness and vertigo.
I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt, please revert back.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.

Follow up: Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 4 minutes later
Thanks, Doc
Haemoglobin count is 11, as per latest tests done in Nov12.
Pls suggest a good specialist around S Delhi as I live around that area
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 6 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

So hemoglobin of 11 can not cause dizziness and vertigo. So you have to approach ENT specialist.

Sorry, I have no idea regarding specialist in delhi.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.