Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Getting discomfort under rib and chronic burps after eating. Are these related?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10337 Questions
Hello, I have recently started getting a lot of discomfort under my left rib. I wouldn't describe it as a pain but it is very uncomfortable & it feels as though my rib is digging in. I have also started to get very chronic burps after eating-as though I've drank a very fizzy drink. I have not changed anything in my diet so I wondered if this could be related to my rib discomfort. The only way I can describe the discomfort is it feels as though I need to pull my rib out because it is digging In & when I inhale deeply it almost feels restricted
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The symptoms you are having are likely to be due to excessive gas and indigestion which is causing the bloating and thus causing the feeling of a restricted rib cage.
Use of OTC medications mentioned below can be used to have some relief.
1. Activated charcoal (Charcocaps) , will absorb the excess gas produced.
2. Antacids, such as Di-Gel, Maalox Anti-Gas, and Mylanta Gas, allow gas to be belched away more easily.
3. Food enzymes, such as Beano, which help break down the sugars found in vegetables and grains, can be added to foods that cause you to have gas.
You may want to consider visiting your doctor for a full assessment, he/she would conduct a full examination, focusing on the abdomen.
I hope the suggestions given are helpful.
Please feel free to forward any doubts or questions, if you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor