Owl Image

Getting dark and semi solid bowel movement in winter. What treatment is required?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
My problem is during the winter season. I get a loose bowel feeling, and stool becomes dark and semi- solid. Don't have pain or vomiting. This happens every winter season, and leads to weight loss. Kindly advice on the treatment for this problem. There is also some gas formation and cramping. I am allergic to Oflox-oz. it causes redness and swelling of lips.

Thanks and regards,
XXXXXXX
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
The problem that you have mentioned is periodic and not constant. The consistency of stools varies from loose to semi solid. There is associated weight loss. Weight loss may be due to decreased absorption of nutrients or loss of nutrients in stools.The problems of cramping and gas formation seem to be related to same problem.
These features can be due to irritable bowel disease, coeliac disease, lactose intolerance, infections like giardiasis or even colonic cancer.

However, to confirm the diagnosis a couple of investigations are required.
These are stool examination- routine & culture, an ultrasound of abdomen, endoscopic biopsy.
Consult a specialist- a gastroenterologist for complete clinical examination, investigations and management.

Hope I have answered your query.
In case you have more queries, please feel free to post.

Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: Getting dark and semi solid bowel movement in winter. What treatment is required? 2 hours later
Dear Dr.,

Thank you for the diagnosis.

Kindly advise prevention/prescription, as the problem occurs because of the cold weather.

Kindly advise on medication for the first line of treatment.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 7 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks again for writing back.

Weather has no influence on gastrointestinal motility. Therefore the relation of gastrointestinal disturbance with cold weather may just be a co-incidence. Hence it becomes more important to us to determine the underlying cause as to plan the treatment.

As discussed in my previous reply the cause can vary. A physical examination and investigations will narrow down the possibilities and hence help in making the diagnosis. Prescribing drugs before a diagnosis will not help.

However, for symptomatic relief you can take antacids before breakfast.
Discuss with a specialist for further work up.

Hope this helps. If you have more queries please feel free to post.

Dr Shailja P Wahal