Owl Image

Getting continuous pain in hamstring area. Any cure?

Owl Image
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Question
I am having continous pain varying daily sometimes major pain and some times minor pain in the hamstring area of my left leg. Please suggest some cure.
Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later
I understand your concern.
The continuous pain in the calf muscles can be due to-
1. Calf muscle strain and tear - Usually due to overwork and overstretching of the muscles. Recent increase in leg exercises may cause these. Gradual increase in exercise and pain killers with mild symptoms.

2. Muscle ischaemia- associated with diabetes usually. There is acute pain associated with it.

3. XXXXXXX vein thrombosis- comes last among the list of probable diagnosis.

4. Myositis- Muscle pain or myalgia is a common cause and may be due to overuse (mild trauma) or associated with the generalized aches and pain of an infection.

5. Muscle cramps: Muscles may cramp, causing significant pain. This may be due to a lack of stretching or an imbalance of electrolytes in the bloodstream. You need to get your serum sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium levels checked.

You may get the initial physical examination, relevant tests and treatment done under care of 'Orthopaedician'.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.