Owl Image

Getting constant headache. Is there something wrong in my brain?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
The past month or so, I've been constantly getting intense headaches focused in the front of my head and near my ears. All sound, especially deeper sounds, seem amplified to an extreme; is something wrong with my brain/head or does this sound like a migraine? What would be the best course to take to get rid of these while I wait for a doctors appointment (which is a month away)?

Also, I am under a lot of stress with my busy school/work schedule, but no more than I've always been under, in fact recently I been under much less stress and pressure than I'm used to. I don't think my stress level has too much to do with this.
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 22 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

I think the most likely cause of headaches in your case is migraine. The pain in migraine is often more on one side, and lasts for more than four hours. A feeling of nausea or vomiting may be present. Insensitivity to light and/or sound are common.

Since you are having frequent headaches (more than two per month), you require preventive medications (to prevent the recurrence of headache). These medications include the use of Topiramate or beta blockers or divalproex.

In addition, you also require medicines to relieve the headaches such as diclofenac or ibuprofen or rizatriptan.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
YYYY@YYYY