Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Getting constant abdominal pain, feeling nausea and bloated. CT scan normal. Reason?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 711 Questions
For the past two months, I have had constant pain, in the center of my abdomen, approximately 2 to 3 inches above the naval. Additionally, I can hear my gut making growling and churning noises. I have seen a Gastroenterologist, had a CT Scan (with barium, with and without contrast), and was told that my abdomen was perfectly normal. A couple of days ago, I had an EGD, and was told that it was completely normal. All of that was good news, but I would really like to know the reason for the chronic pain. I do not have a gall bladder, as it was removed in 1995. I have no fever, very little nausea, and feel very bloated.
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 2 hours later
Thank you for your query.

I can understand your concern. I think you probably have features of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
The main symptoms of Irritable bowel syndrome are abdominal pain, fullness, gas, and bloating that have been present for at least 3 days a month for the last 3 months.

I am glad that you never smoked nor drank; you eat right and exercise. You are never overweight. Continue to do so.

Lifestyle changes can help in some cases of IBS.

Regular exercise and improved sleep habits may reduce anxiety and help relieve bowel symptoms.

Avoid foods and drinks that stimulate the intestines (such as caffeine, tea, or colas). Avoid large meals.
Increase fiber in the diet (this may improve constipation but make bloating worse).

Please discuss about these options with your Gastroenterologist.

If you have any further queries, you are free to consult me. Hope this answers your query.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Have a nice day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor