Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Getting chronic pain after tendinopathy. Taking tramadol. Is it safe to take doxycycline?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10353 Questions
Why would my doctor want me to take doxycycline and XXXXXXX tea extra for pain associated with tendonopathy.

I've had lateral hip pain for 4 years now. Everytime I try phsio, it flares up so badly that I have to stop. I do very very minimal physio. The flare ups are so painful, and seem so out of keeping with the diagnosis. The only thing that works for the pain is tramadol, and tramadol keeps me up at night, so I can't function well during the day.

I'm very tired of the chronic pain. 6 cortison shots have had no effect. The orthopedic surgeon says no surgery is required.

I'm not sure what to do anymore. I can't afford to keep going to the doctors and physio. Especially as I am not seeing any improvement. It just goes round in circles. Flare up - pain - rest - virtually no activity - pain killers - feel a bit better - bit of exercise or physio - flare up etc etc

At the very least 100mg of tramadol is required to provide relief, but usually it just makes me so high that I can ignore the pain rather than providing relief.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Tendinopathy is often associated with a chronic pain which needs regular anti inflammatory drugs for relief. If tramadol is causing considerable side effects then you can get some oral muscle relaxants prescribed from your orthopedician.
Doing a regular hot fomentation will also help in decreasing the inflammation. Taking NSAIDs like Naproxen can also help you. Doxycycline and XXXXXXX tea extracts can help in decreasing the inflammation.
Regular physiotherapy is the only way to have a long term relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor