Getting chest pain after gym. Have I strained the intercostal muscle?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Was pressing my chest against a standing preacher bench at gym performing BICEP curls when I felt in my left portion of ribcage a snapping feeling and I dropped the weights...since then which was last week I have had a isolated pain in that area in the front left side of my ribcage which one week later has (the pain) circled around to my back ... I thought it would be safe to work out today on my chest but my lattisimus dorsi was in sharp pain and its hard to breathe in XXXXXXX .. I've been applying ice and now heat... Could I have broke a rib/ strained the intercostal muscle..etc?? The sound and feeling was almost a snap, pop kinda like I was pushing against my ribs almost bending them and they popped back. No
Bruising or bleeding but all day today in the back of my head lower left on same side as the injury I've felt every 15-20 minutes a strange sinus pressure feeling resonate for 5-10 seconds then leave... This has repeated itself all day...When I breathe in XXXXXXX right now... I can feel a dull pain on the left side ribcage
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.

I have read your query in detail. The symptoms you have described are more likely to be symptoms of muscles strain.

To get relief from the pain and for quick healing:
1. Do hot fomatation at the site.
2. Apply local anti-inflammatory gel 2-3 times a day.
3. Take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen to reduce pain and local swelling or inflammation.
4. Do not lift weight or try to do exercise that involve painful muscles. Give proper time for the injury to heal.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you speedy Recovery.....
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.