Getting chest pain. X-rays, ECG, blood test fine. Have lack of vitamin-D. Any relief?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I get chest pain after brisk walking or climbing 20 steps 3x a day at work . Pain comes after a couple of hours or next day. feel as though something is inflammed or torn. it seems as though it is under the chest muscles or under rib cage or chest diaphram ?

X-rays, ECG, blood test all look OK .

I do have a lack of Vitamin D - it was measured to be 22nmol two months ago ?

What could this be ?

Can you advise ?
This settles down after taking pain killers for 2days (neuropen) or rest
and I walk again normally.

But when I lift anything heavy or do brisk walking again then I get the same pains again.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 24 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Your problem seems to be related to musculoskeletal in origin like- pulled muscles, costochondritis, tiredness, myokymia.
At your age inducible ischemia is a very important possibility, and the symptoms may be due to angina and in that case it is important to be managed. ECG and Chest Xray may be deceptively okay, so you should get an ECHO and a TMT, it is an ECG record which is taken when you are running on a slant plank.
If these reports are also normal then the cause is musculoskeletal and and would be needed to be managed aggressively painkillers- both systemic and local.
Please get these investigations and if you like, inform me in a Fresh Query / Follow up Query for further fine tuned opinion
Wish you a great health!

Follow up: Dr. Ram Choudhary 19 minutes later
Hi
I have been told by my GP that if it was Angina then the pain would come straight away after brisk walking or climbing a hill. My pain comes after two hours or next day So my GP has said it is not angina but could be due to Vitamin D issue.

I do not Have any pulled muscles ?

Also, what do you mean by " inducible ischemia is a very important possibility" ?

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 12 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome back to healthcare Magic!
The "inducible ischemia is a very important possibility" means Classical Angina in which chest pain appears with effort and subsides with rest.
Your physician is absolutely right, pain is followed immediately after the exertion but you know there is no absolute rule in biology. Because ischemia is a serious issue you should get the advised work up to rule it out.
If that is ruled out then calcium and vitamin D supplements can help you, to cover the deficiency and relieve the symptoms.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!