Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Getting calf muscle pain. Advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1306 Questions
I am a keen walker with 2 dogs,always kept fit played badminton for 40 years. 62 yrs old 14stone 6lbs. Never smoked but now when walking only seem to be able to do about 3 miles and I get calf muscle pain sometimes severe other just aches but does not seem to go away. Slightly concerned re the DVT connection.
Any advice would be most welcome.
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see details.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
1. The features of DVT or deep vein thrombosis of calf region are swelling in calf region, pain on touch/ pressure, pain on movement of limb. There may be redness over the effected area and or swelling of foot. The pain will be persistent in these patients. Pain occurring after 3 miles of walk is atypical for this condition.
2. Isolated pain on walking without any swelling or tenderness is more likely to occur with decrease in blood supply to muscles due to blockages in blood vessels (arteries). This is known as intermittent claudication. This will come up with walking to a similar distance daily and will be relieved by rest. Other disorders which can present similarly may be --
a. Neurological involvement due to disease of lower spine. This may be associated with local pain (lower backache).
b. A local trauma or muscle strain. The pain will be persistent and there will be tenderness on pressure or touch.
c. Venous insufficiency may be responsible but swelling will be an associated features.
Sir, I can only provide you historical perspective here. All the conditions, to be differentiated, require an examination. Hence, I would recommend you to see your GP to sort out the issue. However please do write, if there is any query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor