Getting burning sensation on nipple and have anxiety and stress problem. Any ideas?

Dr. Praveen Rodrigues

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Question: 35 yo male. Left nipple has had an off and on burning sensation. I do have anxiety issues and high stress.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there.
I hear you & empathise with your problem. Are you on any medication for anxiety disorder & if so, perhaps a tweak in dosages may be in order. If not, please do visit a therapist near you who you are comfortable with to help you sort out the anxiety issues as this will help this particular problem as well. In the interim, please try using a topical 1% hydrocortisone cream over the nipple area twice/day for a week. This should rid you of your problem. Follow this up with a healthy dollop of any aloevera based cream that can be used for about a month as & when required that will stand you in good stead in the long run. Both these i have suggested are over the counter preparations that your local pharmacist should be able to easily supply. Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 27 minutes later
This feels more like a tingling/burning sensation. The appearance of the nipple looks normal. Also it is intermittent. I do also get a tightness in my throat and tingling in my chin on one side. These symptoms seem to be more noticeable when i am nervous or stressed.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 10 hours later
Hi there Again,
I hear you. I still recommend the same creams for the nipple issue.
In addition, i suggest a visit to a good therapist for best results on both fronts.
You may require to talk to him about destressing mehtods & or start yourself on some mood elevating medications as per his/her prescription.
Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD