Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Getting burning sensation in groin area and noticed white spot on penis. Could it be herpes?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions
I have a white spot , on my penis looks like pimple!

I also get a burning sensation in my groin and a numb sensation that runs down the inside of my leg..

Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Herpes usually presents as a cluster of small fluid-filled blisters which are painful. The blisters appear within 4 - 7 days of unprotected sexual exposure, then open up, releasing a clear fluid and can then form sores or ulcers. So, your description does not seem to fit into the icture of a Herpes infection. However, if a person has already had Herpes infection in the past, then subsequent infections or presentations may not be typical, i.e. they can just present with mild symptoms like just a pimple, or a small ulcer, etc. Sometimes such small white pimple-like spots can be seen in a called pearly penile papules. This is a very common condition and harmless condition and does not need any specific treatment.

So, if you have had a recent unprotected sexual exposure, then it's better to get yourself properly examined and tested, because the earlier appropriate treatment is initiated, the better are the results and further complications can be prevented.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Getting burning sensation in groin area and noticed white spot on penis. Could it be herpes? 2 hours later
I am aware of the common descriptions of herpes available on the internet.
I did have unprotected sex about 6 months ago, and the spots appeared not long after that, however they never opened up or formed sores. I had a herpes blood test about 2 weeks after this and it came back negative ( I am aware it can take up to two months) before antibodies show up in a test. Recently I have felt a burning at the base of my penis and a odd pain about 2 inches wide running down the inside of my leg all the way to my feet. Then now this pimple looking spot?

What are the possible causes of this pain , if not herpes?

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 4 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for the details. Since you have previously had some lesions (though not typical) shortly after an unprotected sexual exposure, it is possible that you could have had a herpes infection and the current pimple-like spot could be a resurgence of the infection. The only way to be confirm this is to have a blood test done (and as you rightly mentioned, the initial blood test which you had could have been too early to detect the antibodies)

The burning sensation in the base of your penis and the strange sensations going down your thigh could be due to the following possibilities.
- Prostatitis can often present with discomfort in the base of the penis.
- Local causes in the urethra like an infection, inflamation, stricture, etc. may cause such burning sensations or pain
- These sensations could also be indicative of a sciatic nerve roots). Sometimes, spinal problems can also produce these nerve compressions, resulting in these "paresthesias".
- Underlying inguinal lymph node enlargement can present with groin pain or a strange pulling sensation down the inner thighs.
- Certain conditions like uretric colic (due to uretric calculi / stones) can have a "referred pain" to the root of the penis.
- Sometimes, diabetes can also present with such burning / numbness

I would suggest that you get a proper physical examination (including a genital, abdominal and neurological examination) done by a doctor, in order to arrive at a definitive diagnosis.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor