Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Getting blocked ear sensation and ear is constantly popping and crackling. Suggest some home remedy

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
For last week my right ear is constantly popping and crackling, and now it feels always blocked and is always trying to un pop or free its self but no luck, I have had three sinus infections this years...over last 2 and half weeks I have been coughing and hacking up XXXXXXX mucus....

What is the best home remedy you would recommend?
Do I need a prescription?
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Thanks for the query.
Blocked ear sensation is the result of the air pressure on either side of your ear drum not being equal. Blocked ears arise when air is unable to move through the Eustachian tube to equalise the pressure.
your eustachian tube has been blocked because of persisting cold and cough for past 2 weeks.
Eustachian tube is a tube that connects nasopharynx with middle ear.
Once the Eustachian tube gets are blocked, air cannot get in and out of the middle ear. The resulting pressure imbalance causes the feeling of a blocked ear.

Sinus and throat infections and nasal allergies such as hay fever are also causes of blocked ear, as the swollen membranes block the opening of the Eustachian tube.

This annoying feeling of a blocked ear accompanying a blocked nose generally disappears once the cold or infection is better.

Since the color of your mucus is XXXXXXX it denotes infection.
You require regular steam inhalation twice a day along with a course of antibiotics for which you have to take a prescription from your doctor.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor