Getting bitter taste in mouth after taking medicine. How to get rid of this?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my grandmother cant eat anything because of the bitter taste she gets from her medication is there something she can do to rid this problem because she is not eating and is down to 87 pounds and in the hospital due to her immune system not fighting infection. please help so we can get her to eat
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Hi
Thanks for writing in.
Your grandmother has multiple respiratory problems and also decreased immunity. Obviously she needs multiple medication at the same time. Bitter taste is possibly side effect of one the drug.
To get rid of that, you need to modify the dose or discontinue the medicine. However the therapeutic effects and side effects of same should be compared for patient benefit.
It may also possible that decreased appetite is due to disease process. You need to consult treating physician for thorough discussion and possible chances of avoiding side effect. Also a advice from dietician will be helpful for diet planning.

Hope I have addressed your query. If you have any further concerns, please let me know.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli