Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Getting affected frequently by acidity, bloating, stomach distension. Can Soda Bicarb tablet be taken?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions
My daughter is getting affected frequently by acidity related problems (bloating/stomach distension etc.)as she is young and fond of junk food.Can she take Soda bicarb tablets , I have heard it neutralises acidity If so, what is suitable dosage for her(weight-101kgs and for how much period should take them?
Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Proper diagnosis is a must.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in.
Overweight can cause alteration of fat metabolism leading to the symtoms which you have described. Taking soda bi carb will not help much but in fact will cause more harm in the long run.
Bloating and a distended feel of the upper abdomen is typically described as flatulent dyspepsia. It has many causes which need to be ruled out.
1. Gall stones by ultrasound
2. Fatty liver by ultrasound and liver enzymes.
3. Altered lipid profile by blood investigations.
4.Regurgitation of sour fluid in the morning suggestive of reflux and hiatus hernia.(diagnosed by endoscopy)
Once the exact cause is found specific targeted therapy can be commenced. It is unwise to resort to symptomatic treatment without identifying the underlying disease process.
In the mean time I would suggest
1. Food regulation by a dietician.
2. Exercise in moderation by way of walking only.
3. Yoga therapy.
4. Mild antacids like sucralfate.(1 tablespoon three times a day after meals)

I hope this answers your qurry.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Getting affected frequently by acidity, bloating, stomach distension. Can Soda Bicarb tablet be taken? 15 minutes later
Examples of Sucralfate(viz. Brand name etc.) may be provided please
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Commonly available brand

Detailed Answer:
thanks for the feedback.
The commonly available brand is " SPARACID" suspension.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor