Getting GI symptoms, fever, fatigue, itchy skin and acidic taste in mouth. Any treatment?

Dr. Samik Basu

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: Hello! about a month ago I developed really weird GI symptoms, fever and fatigue. I waited it out and thought it would go away because I thought it was just a flu.....two weeks later it is back...but a lot worse I have felt hot flashes run through my body sometimes making my skin itchy.....and extremely tired.......and the worst is I was brushing my teeth last night and noticed that my tougue is XXXXXXX at the back so I kept on useing mouthwash to get rid of it I have felt really worn out and now have a extreme acidic taste in my mouth and extremely gasey...all of these symptoms are new to me and I am very concerned...should I go to the hospital.. I have my flu shot..
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

There are some questions I would like you to answer.
1. Are you running fever now?
2. Are you suffering from abdominal pain or altered bowels too?
3. Any nausea or vomiting?
4. When is your period due?

The symptoms you mentioned might be a post flu weakness along with mild gastritis. It does settle with time and rest. Antacid medications such as Tums for a week, plenty of rest and lots of fluids have helped many of my patients with post flu weakness. I think you should follow them. Avoid hot, spicy meals and take food at regular intervals.

Answers to my previous questions will help me identify any other factor that could be contributing to your illness. Please reply back.

In the interim you can also take paracetamol tablet such as Tylenol if you are in pain and also consider review with your treating physician if symptoms are persistently troubling.

Hope this helps.

Wishing you a speedy recovery...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Samik Basu 36 hours later
I am getting extreme night swetting...
I am not getting any abdominal pain..
I feel nausea off and on...
My period is not due until Feb-7th...
My bowels seem to be working better- (extreme/weird-fowl smell has lifted)

I had severe muscle pain today when I woke up.
Very tired....
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 15 hours later
Thank you for your query.

I think you should take lots of ORS and rest. Please follow the drugs I have advised.

Your bowels are improving. You should get well very soon. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Have a nice day.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E