Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Get tiny bump on lip after having oral sex. Checked for herpes and all STDs. Reason?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9396 Questions
Hi my boyfriend gets a tiny bump in the same spot on his lip every time he gives me oral sex and my vaginal area itches after sex with him why does this happen and this time he has like four bumps I have been checked for herpes and all other STDs
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your partner needs to be tested for herpes

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

Based on the description provided, the location of the oral lesion/bump does resemble the presentation of a cold sore, which is seen only in oral herpes (herpes simplex).

The only time a cold sore (which is almost always due to herpes) is misdiagnosed is when it is compared to a canker sore (which is an ulcer in the inner lining of the mouth, usually inside the mouth, and not on the lips). But, from the description provided, the bump your boyfriend has is on his lip.

In such a scenario, I would request you to advice your boyfriend to get tested for herpes (HSV), and in the meantime, please avoid oro-genital contact (at least as long as he has the bump on his lips).

If you have recently been tested for herpes and other STD's, with a negative result, then that is really great news, as you might not have been exposed to the virus, which happens when he has the sore and either has oral or genital contact with your body. Please request your boyfriend to do the same, as it would be wise to first rule out herpes and other STDs in both partners.

I hope this information helps you ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor