Get sharp groin and leg pain while standing after prolonged sitting. What is the cause?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: When I stand up after sitting I get sharp pains in both sides ..left and right groins and can't move until it goes away. at times I experience pain in my buttocks at the base between the groins and legs, and pain also in my legs above the knees at the front. Have spoken to my doctor about this on more than one occasion without getting an answer, just get sent home with more pain relief.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Seems to be due to muscle spasm. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. The pain you have described seems to be due to muscle spasm.These could be due to osteoarthritic changes as a result of age related wear and tear in your hip joints. I suggest you to go for an xray of both hip to see the changes in joint. Avoid squatting and cross legged sitting. Reduce weight if you are obese. Do stretching and strenthening exercises under guidence of a physiotherapist. Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern. Regards.