Get recurring white tongue that goes after scraping. What is the cause?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Here is a pic white tongue goes but not fully when scraped an comes back.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Scrapable plaques odds for candida Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your query and I want to reassure you that Many white lesions involving the oral mucosa are benign and do not require treatment. -have you used broad-spectrum antibiotics or corticosteroids in recent past? -Did you use Any medications or Do you have any disease that causes severe oral dryness (xerostomia)? -Do you have any immunosuppression state? -Is you oral hygiene not good? -Do you use Nicotin or cinnamon? -Do you have any diabetes or other metabolic trouble? -Are there any prosthetics/ dentures in the oral cavity? -Are the white plaques anular( ring like surrounding tongue)? If answer to any of the above question is yes then i am sure this scrapable white plaques which recurr are secondary to candidiasis. you would need Topical antifungal agents like nystatin (Mycostatin, Nilstat) oral suspension, nystatin ointment, ketoconazole (Nizoral) cream. if any dentures they should be soaked in its solution. probiotic intervention with Streptococcus salivarius K12 is also helpful. use of cranberry proanthocyanidin inhibits recurrences photodynamic therapy with photosensitizing dyes such as methylene blue or toluidine blue are also helful to avoid candidiasis. Last but not the least is the continuos use of aqueous extract of garlic mouthrinses. they work like charm. I advise this method to all my patients. If you use Nicotin or cinnamon please stop it and problem will go away. But to be on the safer road i would adise to see nearby GP to rule out other possibilities like Papilloma, Verruca Vulgaris, and Condyloma Acuminatum Leukoplakia, Oral Dysplasia, and Carcinoma in Situ Nicotinic Stomatitis and Cinnamon Stomatitis, Lichen Planus and Lichenoid Reactions some things which needs examination and a bit work up. I hope you got what you were looking for. If you have any more queries please feel free to ask.Otherwise kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. I wish you very good health and take some very good care of yourself. Regards Dr S Khan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T