Get pins and needles on hand after fall. X-ray report came negative. Anything serious?

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My wife fell today face first down on some concrete, and put both arms in front of her when she fell, and we was going to the doctors office for me, and she told the doctor, that her arms, and sepecially her hands, felt like there was pins and needles run through them, so he sent us to the hospital to have the one arm, x-ray, and it came up negitave, for a brake, but now tonight, she is crying, and saying, like it feels like her hands are on fire, what can i do.
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
Good to listen that you have no fracture in the forearm. But surely there is due to fall and causing you pain and feeling of pins and needle pricking. To get rid from it follows some steps:
1. Keep the hands elevated or put arm pouch sling for elevation. Do not hang the hands that will increase your symptoms.
2. Do Ice fermentation.
3. Can apply local anti-inflammatory gels at the site.
4. Take analgesic and anti-inflammatory drug like Ibuprofen to reduce pain and swelling.
5. Do active movements of fingers of hands so that the circulation is proper.
6. Wear elastic bandage and restrict the movements of wrist and other paining part.
7. As you are diabetic and hypertensive, keep your blood sugar and blood pressure under control for quick healing.

Hope this will help you. Write back for any follow up query.
Best Wishes and get well soon.
Dr. Kulbir Singh