Get off balanced while sitting like swaying. Had vertigo attack. is this normal?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I get off balanced when I sitting like I am swaying... Had vertigo attack 2 weeks ago... Is this normal
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is not normal ma'am, need to find cause Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. This swaying and feeling unbalanced is another vertigo attack ma'am. This is not normal ma'am and in most cases, has some or the other cause, which has resulted in this presentation. In my opinion, we should start by looking into the causes. They can be: -Ear infections (have you experience an itch in your ear lately?) -Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo: The most common cause of vertigo; it appears due to the accumulation of crystals inside the ear canal -Inflammation or infections of the ear (eg. labyrinthitis, otitis, etc.) -Migraine attacks (more common in women, and especially women in their reproductive age group) -Meniere's disease: Hearing is usually affected, but you have reported normal hearing -Vestibular neuronitis: Associated with sexually transmitted diseases, upper respiratory tract infections (URTIs), circulatory disorders These are the most common causes ma'am. I would recommend a visit to a specialist (ear, nose, throat specialist) and conducting an examination of the ear canal and as is protocol an MRI of the brain would also be required. I hope you found my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 30 minutes later
My ears always itchy and ent said I might have bppv... Going for eng test on wed I am not spinning anymore... Just feel like I am on a boat when I sit down..
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Request for medication till diagnosis is made Detailed Answer: Hello once again ma'am. An itchy ear could also be the sign of an infection or inflammation, not necessarily BPPV, so please discuss the same with your doctor. An ENG or VNG would help in the diagnosis of BPPV, but I feel an MRI would also have to be conducted if the ENG does not yield a positive result. Treatment of BPPV is with the help of Epleys maneuver, which has to be performed by a skilled practitioner. It is good that your head is not spinning anymore. But it is usually protocol to initiate treatment with medication, as soon as vertigo is seen, even before the cause is found. Treatment with medication like betahistine would be necessary to provide relief to the patient. I hope this information helps you ma'am. Please feel free to write to me for any further clarifications. Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 9 minutes later
Is this def coming from inner inner... I am so scared if it's a stroke or god firbid brain. This happened. 2 weeks ago where I woke up with violent spinning that lasted like 10 seconds... And now left me with this off balance but only when I am sitting now..
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please do not worry ma'am Detailed Answer: Hello once again ma'am. Please do not worry ma'am, I am sure this is nothing serious. Please go about the investigations, and find the cause, I am sure this is one of the more simple causes ma'am. Do not worry, everything should be fine soon ma'am. Please do not stress, it will not do us anything good, and in all probability, this should be something simple. Do keep me updated, and I shall keep you well-informed and share as much of my knowledge with you, as possible. Best wishes.