Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Get lot of etopic heart beats. Done ECG which was normal. What could be the cause?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
Hi i get a lot of etopic heart beats, have been to cardiologists (2) and they have done heart eco which was normal but still get a lot of these beats, with no other symptoms
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ECG should be more useful

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
Ectopic beats is a common problem for someone in 60s. If the echo is normal and the ectopics are not troubling then it is not of a worry. However if you are having frequent symptoms then yes, ectopics need to be treated. Ectopics are not seen in echo while the same can be diagnosed with an ECG.
If the ectopics are not seen in a single ECG then a 24 hr monitoring ECG should be useful.
Verapamil diltiazem and proranolol are certain common drugs used to treat such conditions.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Get lot of etopic heart beats. Done ECG which was normal. What could be the cause? 1 hour later
Hi doctor I have a holter monitor on last week, still waiting for results. Also Iam on flecainide but still getting etopics . Thanks
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Holter Monitor will be useful

Detailed Answer:
Holter Monitor will give you a proper diagnosis that whether they are ventricular ectopics or atrial ectopics.
Flecanainide is a good drug and probably you can give it some time.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor