Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Get bad smell, have watery eye, head pain above ear

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12760 Questions
bad smells most of the time, watery right eye some times, head pain right side above ear
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Your symptoms suggest that you may be suffering from sinusitis with a blocked nose on one side.
Sinusitis is the inflammation of sinuses which are air pockets in skull beneath the eyes and around nose.These sinuses open in the nose through small openings.
When these opening get blocked either by mucous or by polyps or by some food particles,it results in build of mucus secretions inside sinuses and a bacterial infection of these secretions may cause foul smell.
Once the sinuses gets blocked,the air inside the sinus gets absorbed resulting in negative pressure in the sinuses which results in severe headache.
The watery eye can result from form the blocked nasolacrimal duct due to infection.
Generally treatment can be done without the use of antibiotics and involves
Regular steam inhalation three times a day.
Taking hot liquids
Avoiding cold liquids
Hot compress on face two to three times a day
Avoiding smoking
Using nasal decongestant for few days

These measures should make you all right however,if the symptoms don't improve in two weeks,or they worsen,or you start getting fever,then a possible endoscopy of sinuses can be done which can be therapeutic as well as diagnostic.
This endoscopy is called as RHINOSCOPY
Some times a CT sinuses is also done for proper evaluation of the sinuses.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor