Geographic tongue, enlarged papillae sensitive to touch, itchiness. Help appreciated.

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Question: Hi,
I have been diagnosed with geographic tongue some years ago. This condition is suppose to be painless more or less....
However, I have been experiencing enlarged papillae which are extremely sensitive to touch. Usually only 2 or 3 at a time, one or two times a week. They are many times larger than the surrounding normal ones and feel almost like an exposed nerve. They are sometimes but not always associated with an active " geographic tongue" area.
When I experience the enlarged papillae I also experience an intense itch in the area. It is extremely intense.
For some reason these symptoms almost always occur at night, and resolve overnight.

Any help would be appreciated

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
Hi
Thanks for posting your query XXXXXXX
Geographic tongue though it appears alarming and a concern for the patient and relatives, is apparently a benign condition
What you describe as a symptom is a part of the clinical presentation of the same
These enlarged papillae are hypertrophic margins near and surrounding the geographic tongue
They do keep shifting places and are sensitive to touch and hot and spicy meals
Two small clarifications :
Are there similar areas in cheek or the floor of the mouth?
Do you suffer from psoriasis?[It is a skin condition]
Anyway topical and systemic antihistamine like cetrizine should help you
For pain use antiinflammatory like ibuprofen
Steroids locally may help but should be used under medical supervision

Hope I have replied to your satisfaction, if any query revert back, else accept my response
Get Well Soon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D