Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Genital warts. Over the counter treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 157 Questions
Is there an over the counter product to get rid of genetal warts?
Sat, 19 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 3 hours later

Thanks for your query.

Over the counter(OTC) genital wart treatments can be found in any drug store. Most of the doctors generally do not approve of over the counter genital wart treatments because if they are used improperly they can damage the sensitive genital area.Some OTC treatments can be XXXXXXX if they are used in conjunction with prescription medications.

There are different brands available like Dr.Scholl's Wart Remover, Compound W, Freezone and Wart-Off.Salicylic acid is the main ingredient in many over the counter genital wart treatments.
People with compromised immune systems or people who are allergic to salicylic acid should not use these products.

Usually hydration of the skin in order to enhance the effects by applying warm water for five minutes prior to use is recommended. Remove any loose tissue on or around the genital warts and dry thoroughly. When the area is dry apply the salicylic solution directly on the lesions.
Most people who use salicyclic solutions report that the genital warts show improvement within one to two weeks. If redness, a burning sensation or irritation occurs, you should stop using the salicyclic treatments and consult the physician immediately.

Most importantly Genital wart treatments that contain salicylic acid are not recommended for use on moles, birthmarks, warts with hair growing from them, irritated skin or any infected or reddened area. Women who are pregnant should not use these genital warts treatments because the strong chemicals they contain may have adverse affects on the fetus.

even though there are OTC for genital warts i suggest you to consult a Doctor for the same.Selection of treatment is based on wart size, wart number, anatomic site of wart, wart morphology and the majority of patients require a course of therapy rather than a single treatment.

Hope this helps you.If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor