Genital warts (HPV)

Dr. Rohit Batra

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: HPV or Something Else?
==================
My ex showed no symptoms or signs of an active infection of anything. I never noticed any lesions or bumps until he approached me with what looked to be a wart that was fairly noticeable by even a glance. It was mildly gray and only appeared when he pulled back the foreskin on his penis (he is uncircumcised, if that helps). It was below the head on the underside of the shaft and was raised. He says he went to a clinic and the doc did a sight analysis and determined HPV. Mind you, he is an illegal immigrant and adequate healthcare may be a tad sketchy. I have not seen any proof, discharge papers, or evidence of a procedure to test the lesion. There is an avid possibility that he may not have gone to anyone, at all. We HAVE had unprotected sex, including oral. I have PPIs on my own penis, which can be commonly mistaken as HPV. I even had an entire battery of tests done at a local clinic. Every test came up negative. There is no accurate testing measure for HPV without a smear. Other than PPIs, I never noticed anything abnormal on my penis until recently. I don't scour my penis on a routine basis and for all I know, this could have been there, all along--but in my paranoia, I noticed it during masturbation. It is in the general region of my PPIs, but more isolated and not hard, at all. In fact, it mimics my skin color and almost looks like a rogue flap of skin. It only appears profound when I pull my foreskin closer to the head. When I retract the foreskin, it almost certainly disappears and when I pull the area around it really taut, it's virtually invisible. Is this an early stage of an HPV infection? It has not changed colors, it hasn't gotten any larger since its discovery, and it doesn't hurt AT ALL. What is the chance that I am NOT infected if this boy actually DOES have HPV? As for my anus? Fine: no abnormalities. Mouth? Nothing unusual. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 11 hours later
Dear,
HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) infection results in raised warty lesions and the lesions become florid in a couple of months time.
The chances of the lesions infecting the other partner are great.
The only treatment for controlling the existing lesions is podophyllin toxin application by the dermatologist.
I am afraid in case you have got an infection, we can’t do anything to contain it.
We can only treat HPV and not stop it.
Once a person is infected, treated fully then also there are chances that he / she might get new lesions every now and then.
I will suggest you to use a barrier protection every time as even if the lesions are not visible, the person might infect you if he/she is a carrier for HPV and in your case the partner is having visible lesions.

The partner on the other hand needs to get a cure from the dermatologist.
Other treatment modalities include cryotherapy, cautery etc. which also can be carried out in a dermatologist's office.

Hope I have answered all your queries.
Please accept my answer and oblige.

Dr.Rohit Batra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E