Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Gardenerella vaginalis infection. Is there availability of any over the counter medication for treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 3767 Questions
Hi, is there any drugs/ointments available out-of-counter to treat gardinela vaginal infection?
Thank you
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
I am afraid there are no over the counter medications available to treat Gardenerella vaginalis infections.
However, it is very much curable and I would suggest the following:

1) Take regular warm bath and keep the genital area clean.

2) Metronidazole is an effective antibiotic used to treat Gardnerella vaginalis. Clindamycin is an alternative medicine which is also available in suppository form. But these medications require a prescription from your doctor. Hence please consult your general physician who can examine you and prescribe the appropriate medications.
I hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer any follow-up queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor