Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

Gained weight, feeling lethargic. Blood test showed elevated gamma GT and cholesterol level. Safe remedy?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
Hello, I did a medical a few months ago
and the blood test showed elevated Gamma GT levels at 489 and high cholesterol levels. Since then I've gained weight, feel very lethargic and seem to have very little patience. My job requires me to socialize so I haven't been able to stop drinking alcohol. What to you recommend? Thanks
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 4 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I am pleased to be able to assist you with your health problem.
Already the mere fact of having high cholesterol levels already contraindicates your heavy consumption of alcohol which will drastically increase cholesterol levels and hence weight gain and not to talk of other health complications of the liver, pancreas, blood system (artherosclerosis), cardiovascular system etc. High level of gamma GT is associated with alcohol consumption and the same above complications above.
My question is,do you feel you are addicted to alcohol? If yes, then you will need therapy for alcohol withdrawal. Therapy here is not necessarily medications but psychotherapy with a help of a doctor or health care provider.
I will recommended that you discuss this with a very close friend (about your present health situation) who can help you during outings, so you can gradually step down your alcohol consumption to nil. If your gamma GT levels and cholesterol are rising it means, your liver and cardiovascular system are getting deteriorated and will gradually reach a point of serious complications.
My advise is to give up alcohol consumption (you may take non-alcoholic beverages with beer taste to compensate for the alcoholic beverages you presently take).

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions, please feel free to write back.
Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor