Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Fullness in chest. Bowel movements help. Why is lower back sore? Scar tissue from prostate surgery the cause?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions
I have been experiencing a sort of fullness in my left front chest area just below my rib cage.I feels like there is something there, It feels fuller after I eat, Bowel movements seem to help. It doesn't really hurt, but my lower back on that side is very sore, I have always had back pain and I think the back is from many years of lifting wa too heavy items. Could my back be causng this feeling in my abdomen/chest area?Or could scar tissue from my prostate surgery cause this.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later

If the fullness is related to meals it suggests a problem of the stomach. The investigation which could help would be endoscopy. Has the endoscopy report revealed any abnormality? It could be suggestive of advancing GERD with hiatus hernia and esophagitis.

Regarding the back pain, with respect to abdominal organs, pancreatic lesions can cause referred pain to the back. CT of the abdomen will help resolving the back pain issue with regards to the abdomen only.

If it is a spinal cause then MRI would be the investigation of choice. (After ruling out an abdominal cause on CT)

As far as prostate is concerned, spread can occur to the bone especially spine and pelvic bones. This can be picked up by 2 investigations namely a plain x XXXXXXX of the involved spine in case the lesion happens to be advanced. Otherwise if plain X XXXXXXX is normal then a bone scan can be of great assistance.

I hope my answer helps to clear your doubts.

With regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor